Learn to Play
The Tim Hortons Learn to Play Program (LTP) is a revolutionary way of introducing the sport of softball to 5-10 year olds children. Activities are included which foster the involvement of all players, including players with high and low skill levels.
It uses activities and lead-up games that are patterned after informal playground games that promise fun and lots of action. Participants will go home at the end of the night happy and tired while improving their fitness level and softball skills.
Learn to Play provides 5-10 year olds with maximum opportunity to practice the progressions necessary to successfully take part in the game of softball.
Born in 2011, 2012, 2013
Monday and Wednesday (May-June)
- Blast Ball is the introductory level of softball, which uses a softer bat and ball as well as a “honking base”.
- Glove not required.
- Teams are co-ed.
- Games last approx. 1 hour. Start off with a warm up and games should be no longer than 45min.
Born in 2009, 2010
Tuesday and Thursday (May-June)
- Rookie Ball is a slightly modified game where they use a pitching machine and provide extra opportunity to hit the ball
- Everyone bats each inning
- Gloves and helmets are required
- Teams will be split between boys and girls
- Games last approx. 75 min. 15-30 min, pre-game and then 40-60 min. game
Born in 2007, 2008
Note: Mites born in 2007 have the option to try out for the Raiders U12 Squirt. More information.
Monday and Wednesdays (May-June)
- Mites is where the game begins to develop for the pitchers, batters and fielders.
- They now alternate innings between player pitching and pitching machines.
- The emphasis is on fun, skill development and learning the game.
- Gloves and helmets are required.
- Teams will be split between boys and girls.
- Have an 8 p.m. curfew. A 20 min. warm up is encouraged.
All Mites teams will be entered into the U10 Festival to be held in Saskatoon June 11-12.
About the program
The Tim Hortons Learn to Play Program ensures children of all skill levels have FUN while improving their fitness levels and developing their Fundamental Movement Skills.
- ensures children have fun while improving their fitness and developing their skills
- is action-packed
- fosters success for all ability levels
- has easy-to-follow lesson plans for new and experienced coaches
- contains activities and lead up games that are patterned after informal playground games
- gives every child more opportunities to develop softball skills because everyone is active for every minute of every season
- is nationally recognized and approved
Traditionally, at the 5-10 year level, coaches are moms and dads with little or no coaching experience at all. This program is designed to make it easy to implement for the volunteer coach who knows a great deal about softball or who does not. It includes:
- prepared lesson plans
- easy to follow instructions
- a letter to give to parents about the program
- progressions for teaching basic skills
- lead up games designed to simulate the real game of softball