Learn to Play
The Tim Hortons Learn to Play Program (LTP) is a revolutionary way of introducing the sport of softball to 4-10 year olds children. Activities are included which foster the involvement of all players, including players with high and low skill levels.
It uses activities and lead-up games that are patterned after informal playground games that promise fun and lots of action. Participants will go home at the end of the night happy and tired while improving their fitness level and softball skills.
Learn to Play provides 4-10 year olds with maximum opportunity to practice the progressions necessary to successfully take part in the game of softball.
Born in 2012, 2013 and 2014
Monday and Wednesday – 6:30 pm(May-June)
- Blast Ball is the introductory level of softball, which uses a softer bat and ball as well as a “honking base”
- Teams are co-ed
- Sessions last approx 1 hour – 30 minutes warm up/practice and 30 minutes game play
- Saskatoon Minor Softball Fun Night (TBD)
Born in 2010, 2011
Tuesday and Thursday – 6:30 pm (May-June)
- Rookie Ball is a slightly modified game where they use a pitching machine and provide extra opportunity to hit the ball
- Everyone bats each inning
- Gloves and helmets are required. Jerseys are provided and must be returned at end of season.
- Teams will be split between boys and girls
- Sessions last approx. 75 min. – 30 minutes warm up/practice and 45 minutes game play
- End of season tournament, date TBD
Born in 2008, 2009
Note: Mites born in 2007 have the option to try out for the Raiders U12 Squirt. More information.
Monday and Wednesdays – 6:30 pm (May-June)
- Mites is where the game begins to develop for the pitchers, batters and fielders
- They now alternate innings between player pitching and pitching machines
- The emphasis is on fun, skill development and learning the game
- Teams will be split between boys and girls.
- Gloves, helmets, pants, socks and belt required. Jerseys are provided and must be returned at end of season.
- Have an 8 p.m. curfew. Sessions last approx. 90 min. – 30 minutes warm up/practice and 60 minutes game play
- End of season tournament, date TBD
Mites born in 2008 have the option to try out for U12 Squirt. Please contact the Zone Executive to apply for this.
Teams will be formed around mid-April, with the league games normally starting the first week of May. Parents will be notified as soon as game schedules are released by SMSL.
- All refunds prior to the start of the season will be reduced by a $15 processing fee.
- No refunds will be issued once the season has commenced with exception of medical reasons, which is at the discretion of the Zone.
A $75 jersey deposit is required before receiving your uniform and will be collected when you receive your jersey from the coach. The cheque should be postdated August 1 of the current year and made out to Zone 2 Softball.
The uniform must be returned in the same condition you received it. If the uniform is not returned by August 1 of the current year, the cheque will be cashed.
Traditionally, at the 4-10 year level, coaches are moms and dads with little or no coaching experience at all. This program is designed to make it easy to implement for the volunteer coach who knows a great deal about softball or who does not. It includes:
- prepared lesson plans
- easy to follow instructions
- a letter to give to parents about the program
- progressions for teaching basic skills
- lead up games designed to simulate the real game of softball
About the program
The Tim Hortons Learn to Play Program ensures children of all skill levels have FUN while improving their fitness levels and developing their Fundamental Movement Skills.
- ensures children have fun while improving their fitness and developing their skills
- is action-packed
- fosters success for all ability levels
- has easy-to-follow lesson plans for new and experienced coaches
- contains activities and lead up games that are patterned after informal playground games
- gives every child more opportunities to develop softball skills because everyone is active for every minute of every season
- is nationally recognized and approved